How to choose the best assisted living facility for elderly
11th, June, 2019
Assisted living facility is an option for the seniors who require help with their day-to-day activities. These facilities provide around the clock support and access to care for the elderly. But sometimes being able to find an assisted living facility that suits your loved one can be a challenging task. Here are some things that you can consider while choosing a facility for your elderly.
- Planned Routine: A good facility should provide a personalized structured plan that meets the needs and requirements of your elderly, helping them with with their needs but at the same time giving them the space to do the things that they can do independently and safely.
- Friendly Environment: The facility should be able to make your loved ones feel at home. Having a friendly, safe and compassionate environment is far more important than the luxurious appeal that a facility may provide.
- Recreational Activities: Having a different activity planned for every day, helps to keep the elderly engaged in activities and helps them enjoy their time at the facility. It becomes a way of socializing where they are also able to be with other fellow residents to make new acquaintances and friends.
- Nursing and Care: The facility should have registered nurses to provide regular check ups on all the residents to make sure that everyone is medically stable and healthy. The facility should be associated with nearby hospitals, in case there is a need for an emergency hospitalization.
- Staff interaction with residents: When you walk in, you should be able to see that there is warm, open interactions between the residents and staff. Observe how the residents are being spoken to by the staff. Are the staff looking happy? Staff that are happy, will be kind and compassionate with the residents.
- Touring the Facility: Before arriving at a decision of moving an elderly to a facility, you should visit it and take a look around at everything. Although, your first visit would be through an appointment, you should make an unannounced visit to see how things are going when you give surprise visits.
- Interacting with existing residents: You should also talk to the people already living there, they would give you the proper feedback and insights of the facility.
- Kitchen Service: Especially while ageing, it is necessary to keep in check the food consumed by a person. You could also visit the kitchen of the facility to make sure fresh fruits and vegetables are being used and also that the kitchen is being kept clean at all times.
These are just certain measures that can help you decide, if the assisted living facility that you are choosing is really the right one for your loved ones or not, because at the end of the day nothing matters more than the comfort and ease of your loved one.